Railway Works Redevelopment, Swindon
BACKGROUND & BRIEF
The redevelopment of the last remaining redundant railway works buildings established in 1842 by Brunel et al for The Great Western Railway (GWR) at Churchward in Swindon.</p> <p>Careful placement of new apartment blocks draws upon historic patterns of long since demolished works buildings (boiler and hammer shops), whilst forming public spaces between building forms which reflect the character of the wider Conservation Area.
A creative response to the retained works buildings provides varied accommodation of duplex housing and flats, carved out from vast interiors which are left relatively untouched at the edges, thereby offering a tactile and generous feel to the resulting shared 'streets' of leftover spaces. A former smithy yard is revealed by removing a later roof structure, and forms a secluded courtyard between the linear forms of the original buildings.
Of particular note, the Grade II* listed buildings forming the chain testing facilities, complete with original Victorian equipment, are retained to operate as a protected museum/venue for continued enjoyment and education.
more residential developments ⇔ :