Crowmarsh Battle Farm consists of a working arable farm and an extensive redevelopment, involving the conversion of redundant agricultural buildings to office use.
The Grade II listed granary (dated 1800) was in a very poor state of repair, with significant subsidence having occurred beneath the fourteen staddle stones on which it stands.
In order that the refurbished building could operate as a self-contained farm office, toilet facilities are provided in the form of a 'pod', occupying one grain bin at ground floor. A bespoke stair has also been inserted and these new elements are clearly expressed as items of 'furniture' within the historic space.
In this way, the Granary represents a 'warts-and-all' refurbishment that transforms a derelict structure into a fresh working environment. Contrast and layering are employed as the means by which modern services and new interventions can successfully sit cheek-by-jowl with the original interior of this characteristic building.
RIBA Award 2005
RIBA South Conservation Award for Architects 2004
(help: click tab on right to close info pane, select/swipe to view photos, select photo to expand with details)